12 March 2009

2 x 16 kg LCC&J:
1 min sets x 10, rest 1 min
6 reps/set/60 reps total

I am beginning to fully realize the value of a coach. I think I am just getting the right idea of how to lower the bells from the top to the rack. That's after about 10 months of training. Shit! Anyway, I guess later is better than never. Today I felt for the first time how to fully relax the arms during the drop. The key for me was leaning the torso back more and moving the hips forward. Doing it with light kettlebells at relatively low tempo makes it easier to grasp the technique. I admit that this part of AKC teaching is spot on (when I am wrong I am wrong).

2 x 16 kg jerks:
30 reps/5 minutes

That was the test of the newly acquired technical nuance. These 5 minutes felt good, and the arms were not tired (not THAT tired) at the end of it. To help relaxing arms during the drop it helps to make a slight hint at actively pulling the elbows to the hips. Interesting side effect of relaxed drop: the heels of the palms where the handles are sitting are hurting a bit.

16 kg snatch:
30 sec sets/switch every set/no rest
9 reps/set/3 min/54 reps
Too lazy...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the epiphany! Sometimes it just takes a while... I've only been at this a few months more than you, and I'm still making discoveries like this all the time.

Question: on the (new, relaxed) drop are you going straight to the rack, or are you rolling/sliding the bells down the upper arms? Also, are you using the heel raise to shorten the distance?

-Tommy.

Smet said...

Straight to the rack. With heavier bells I will probably need to roll over the shoulders. Yes, I am doing the heel raise.

Vorotyncev says that jerk is technically more demanging than snatch. I agree.

Alexander said...

I'm at similar point of training as you guys. I get small revelations regarding jerk every second month or so. Only problem, when I improve one point I tend to forget some other point :-).
I think I have the relaxed drop down now. I used to warm up with high rep press and relaxed drops with 2/3 kg dumbells, to get the motorics.
Similarly, even when pressing ordinary weights I always dropped relaxed. Whenever I did a classic military press it seemed to mess up my relaxed drops in jerk later on.