23 January 2011

Front levers (bar):
one-legged, max x 3

Back levers (bar)
Max x 2 (very weak, but both legs out and horizontal)

Bulgarian dips on rings:
9 x 2 sets

Horizontal rows (rings):
10 x 2 sets

Weighted pistols:
12 kg racked - 3R/3L

L-hold on rings:
10 seconds x 2

And that's the plan for the next several months: mostly bodyweight training. Every time I pick up a weight I feel it next day in my lumbar back. Alas, some of us cannot become heavy squatters/pullers etc.

My training with BW goes way back to my young years when I did gymnastics. Never at serious level - I started it late - but I could do a summersault, handstand, flac, and some other cool things on the bar and rings. I used gymnastic drills for strength training and was really fit and looked good too. The more I think about it the more I realize that every one of use has predisposition to certain activities. Some are good runners (like my wife), some are built to lift heavy things. Some of us, on the other hand, are better at gymnastics.

And that's what I am going to do next, gymnastic drills. Planks, levers, handstand work, L-holds, rings etc. They are good enough to satisfy my expectations of strength. I will continue doing weighted chins and pistols, just not crazy weighted. Nothing loading the spine to any meaningful extent. I will do some training with kettlebells, however they will not be my priority for the next year. I need to deload and heal my spine, so no serious weight bearing exercises for now.

Another goal for the year - and I started working on it - losing body fat. I am quite lean as it is, but want to get my BF in under 10% area (it is 17-18% now). I am dieting like crazy - low carb/high protein and have already become quite anti-social: eating out with me is not fun at all. My barbecue is working full time, I expect neighbours complaining of smoke very soon.

In view of all this the title of the blog no longer satisfies its content. I decided to stop posting here. I will leave this blog dormant. After all, over the years I have posted a lot of useful info and lots of controversy, and it will be available to those who are interested. For my current training I will start a new blog and will soon post the link for those who would like to follow my musings.

Thanks for those following my writings over the last couple of years. Farewell and all the best to all brother ketleballers.

No comments: