29 November 2008

2 x 16 kg jerk: 10 reps
2 x 24 kg jerk:
2 min/10 reps
4 min/21 reps

Wanted to do another minute, but old friend fucking headache came back. Shit, I was feeling so strong. Will have to stick to one arm and assistance stuff. Still, my (paultry) new best... by one rep...

32 kg OAJ: 10L/10R
24 kg OAJ: 15L/15R

50 kg jump squats: 35 reps
60 kg jump squats: 30 reps

Headache is getting worse, should stop (hope I'm not popping an aneurism!)

Two thoughts from today's workout. First, warmup is important. I am sure my headache is coming from the strain in the neck. I guess for PTP type workout it is ok not to do it, but for strenuous endurance stuff it is. Next time I am going to get the shoulders and the neck ready for jerks.

Second - I think I am getting the technique of jerks, at least improving in it. Couple of aspects I got good feeling of are: a) resting the elbows on the iliac spines and keeping the arms and shoulders as relaxed as possible b) pushing the bells with the legs through the hips, through the arms, with the latter getting into the lift as late as possible c) finding the least strenuous overhead position d) on the way down exclude th arm completely; rolling the bells over the shoulders helps a lot. Oh yeah, keeping the legs straight in the rack position. It is easier if you do some hip flexor stretches before the workout. Another one - taking an extra breath in the overhead position, it is easier with the bells up there than with the forearms pressing on the abdomen.

That'll be all for today. I am going to shut up now...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Smet, I get headaches too. Mine are from hypertension. You been checked out?-Hideouse

Smet said...

My BP is ok, checking it often (being a doctor and all). I am sure my headache is coming from straining the neck/shoulder.