Comments by the Master (one of them)

A tread has been started on Rybinsk girevoy sport forum where participants post the videos of their lifts and get comments from more experienced guys. I posted the link to my latest jerk video from the 23rd of July, couple of posts earlier. Below are the comments on the video by some Wolf-TMB (the name is a Russian thing, I cannot explain), Master of Sports. In some earlier treads on that site he was complaining that he always falls 3-4 reps short of MSMC in competition and was asking the advice… I translated them as close to the original as I could.

I had a look at your jerk. What can I say. Overall, for the beginner not so bad, but plenty of errors.

First, well done, you are resting with the bells on your chest. However, right before starting the jerk you strain the chest muscles and because of that the elbows come off a little. I would recommend doing “imitations”, acceleration of kettlebells off the rack position without following up.

Next. Why is the first dip so “greedy”? It looks like you don’t weigh much, why such small dip? Work on it and do jumps with the barbell from the middle squat.

Second dip is almost absent; all that's left of it is the stomping of the heels! Second dip must be much deeper. You have to squat so deep that elbows “switch on” sharply. In other words you get the arms straightened and then stand up. Also, you are strained in the overhead position. You have to look for ways to be more relaxed there.

Another thing. In order to achieve endurance you have to run. You are all short of breath on your videos [that implies other posters on that tread]. I am preparing for an important competition and run around 50 km a week. (!) Breathing also gets better from running.

For someone who trains at home DIY style these comments are incredibly valuable. They also remind me, once again, that GS in the West is a very young sport, and there is lack of athletes of serious level and coaches who trained them. I think it would be a good idea to work out the way how to use the knowledge and experience of bogatyrs from the East Shore.

Anyway, look at my video and read the comments of the Master. You might avoid making the same mistakes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i enjoy these kind of tips aswell thanks for posting

andy97