Lifting story and long service leave

I discovered Pavel when I was still living in South Africa, around 2003. In 2004 I moved to Australia, and my interest in Pavel's writings continued. I eventually bought Russian Kettlebell Challenge and Beyond Bodybuilding, among his other books. In 2005 I bough one 16 kg and one 24 kg bells, the latter one ugly sucker, one of the first productions of Kettlebells Australia.

In retrospect I realize that my training wasn't correct, mostly because of too much volume and intensity I tried to cover. I injured my shoulders, elbows and hips several times. All of it healed though.

In 2008 I read Dan John's works and - of course - was impressed. One of the lifts he recommended was clean. The next day I tried it - and immediately pulled my back. In retrospect I realize it is because I lowered the bar instead of dropping it to the floor (I don't have a platform to do it). Nevertheless, it wasn't so bad, and the back healed quickly.

I continued various templates of lifting and at some stage decided to improve my deadlift and squat. At bodyweight of 70 kg I got to 115 kg in squat with good depth (don't remember the DL PR, it wasn't too impressive, about 120 kg I think). When unloading the plates from the bar after hitting squat PR after I got up my back was sore. The pain increased in the next few hours to the point that the next day I could hardly walk.

A few months after I started this blog and decided to focus on Long Cycle I damaged my back again, this time by incorrect lowering during re-clean with two 24s.

In the next couple of years I had two more episodes of serious back pain, once triggered by cleaning kettlebells and once - the latest - by bending over to pick my shoes (I did squat two days ago).

In retrospect I realize that my back problems are self-inflicted. I probably still do too much volume and my technique is far from good, especially in squat.

I did some sort of sports from adolescence. Never too regular or programmed, however I was always reasonably average-guy-strong and in reasonable shape. Looking back I can say that best results in terms of strength, looks and lack of injuries came from my gymnastics training. When I was about 20-21 I was literally obsessed with grinding routines on parallel bars and rings. I started gymnastics late and never participated in any competition, let alone being on one of those admired Russian gymnasts. But I could do a few elements, and especially summersaults helped break the ice when trying to impress the girls.

I have had back pain for the last three weeks. It is most certainly the result of my incorrect technique of squat and deadlift and to some extent kettlebells. The fact that it is recurring worries me: I am doing something that may lead to long-term problems. I don't want to end up like some of the patient in the pain clinic I was involved with in Johannesburg, on opioids and in constant pain. My low back is not the only problem: in the last five years I also had several episodes of severe neck pain, to the point that I had to miss work. So here is my spinal health plan.

  1. To stop lifting for the next six months, both barbells and kettlebells. Not a very rational decision, but I want to give my body sufficient time to heal and re-adjust itself.
  2. Instead of lifting I will concentrate on bodyweight exercises: pullups, rings, handstand stuff and running.
  3. Find a good osteopath/chiropractor/kinesiologist and see him on regular basis. The idea is to get guidance in correct musculo-skeletal behavior and special exercises for the back.
  4. Find a coach who can help me with the technique of big lifts. I know of a few people who could help me here.

This plan means that for the next six months this blog will not justify its name. I will get to kettlebells as soon as I can, but it will be 12 kg snatches, not something one would want to follow on the GS blog. I will keep posting my training here for those who are curious. After all, if the plan works and my back gets back to what it was 30 years ago it may be used by someone else.

6 comments:

Brian from Chicago said...

im sorry to hear about your training injuries. i have been following your blog for a couple of years now and i am always delighted with the content (mainly russian girevoy technique/training methods). One of my all time favorite entries is from a long time ago and it is about rack variations. over the next few months if you continue to research russian training please continue to relay that info on your blog. thank you

laiboonh said...

Reading your story i have a feeling of "too much too soon". I am 80kg girevoy beginner and still dabling with a 12kg. Hope you recover soon and start swinging again. you have been an inspiration :)

Unknown said...

Have been following your blog for about three years now. I am nearly 61yo. Started kettlebells four years ago, and had very similar back problems, incorrect technique was one issue. but then I discovered that i was OK if I concentrated on clean and press, snatching.
The issue was always aggravated by the LC and clean and jerk. So I stopped doing them all together. Focusing on building up pressing and snatching, touch wood I have been OK ever since that decision. At the end of the day I just want to be fit.
Can I suggest that you eliminate everything that aggravates your condition and as you said back to the 12's and baby steps forward. keep up the blog it is really great.
Paul

Anonymous said...

Eugene I'm a former GP ( business these days)with a lot of experience in back pain. As far as osteopaths go i can recommend Conrad Winer. He is unique: both a rehab physician and an osteopath and a fine 'old school' gentleman.
As you will know significant contributors to back pain are mobility problems and a lack of 'core' stability. For mobility have a look at the work of Kit Laughlin. He is based in Canberra. His books and tapes are very good and my partner has studied with him. Pavel's "Bullet Proof Abs" and material on flexibility/mobility is valuable. Have a look at the books by Stuart McGill. Scot Sonnan has also some good material. I think you should give up lifting for at least twelve and preferably eighteen months and focus on mobility, flexibility and core stability. Consider some Pilates with the right teacher. If you return to KB please focus on just one lift for the first year: one armed jerks. Add to this the TGU ( kallos sthenos style). Use lightish weights and just focus on technique. You should also undergo a FMS ( functional movement screen) as soon as possible. At the moment i only know of Andrew read in Mebourne doing this.Your blog has been superb but i have been worried about your back for some time.

Tommy D said...

Hey Eugene, sorry to hear about your continued back problems. Heal up, and work on other things in the meantime... the bells will be waiting for you when you get back. Thanks again for your interesting & informative blog, it's always a pleasure to read!

Paul , Marguerite , Alex, Luke 'n' James said...

Hey Eugene! becuase you are inquisitive and stubborn ,
you will heal - and re-emerge fitter and stronger than before! All the best , Paul