Aerobic fittness

I did some search on Maffetone Method and bumped into his website. There are several interesting articles, and I got interested in his method of calculating max heart rate. Instead of the traditional 220 minus half the age he uses 180 minus age minus some number depending on your fitness level, Full article is at this link: Maffetone MaxHR formula The number obtained is considerably lower than that derived by using conventional equation. According to Maffetone training at low intensity is more beneficial than pushing yourself every time you train. I guess read the article and make your own opinion about it.

Maffetone method seems to be quite popular among runners, and there are lots of testimonials where running slower during training resulted in faster race times. Are long sets with 16 kg bells similar to long slow runs? Who knows, I guess.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great post. thanks for the info.

Brett said...

They are indeed. I have read and practiced the Maffetone method of calculating your max aerbobic heart rate and staying below that number. Anything else is too tough to recover from for endurance training.

I trained for Ironman with a specific heart rate of 147 for my age and finally made good progress over time. Mark Allen trained the same way (under Maffetone) when he became world champion.

Too much time at intensity is bad. Lots of time just below max aerobic is good. Then after a long slow build, peaking is when intensity and reduced volume factors in.

At any rate, I think heart rate monitors would be of great benefit for GS. Just starting out in GS myself. Had kids and retired from triathlon for a new addiction. Thanks for your blog and sharing your knowledge.