29 August 2009

Treadmill run, 7 km in 47 minutes.

When I ran 7 km few days ago I proudly mentioned it at work - and was laughed at by several nurses who run or used to run. "Eugen, I can walk nine kilometers in one hour, let alone running!" That's how thiungs are pout in perspective. It was all lighthearted of course. I also stated many times that I am a shit runner and am tremendously proud of my measly progress.

In any case, today at the gym I made a bit of an effort to beat my previous record and set the speed on the treadmill between 8.0 and 9.5 km/hour. The new result:

I was also continuously watching, checking, analysing and adjusting my running technique. This, by the way, is an interesting thing to do. The reason there are TVs in fromnt of treadmills is to distract the runner from the torture and suffering of running. At least this is the opinion I get from most people who run in gyms. I believe in sort of Zen way. I don't like cliches and don't want to fall into the "mindfullness" lecture. However it makes sense though that you will do something better if you pay attention to details. Listening to the pains and strains, making sure the head is not bobbing up and down in the mirror, the arms mowing forward rather than across the body, breathing, posture, abdominals - all this should reduce the chances of getting injured and improve the result.

1 comment:

Surly Bird said...

Totally agree on the treadmill run zen mindset. I hate any distractions, but have learned to tune them out. In addition, craning one's neck to look at a TV invariably leads to trips and stumbles if one is truly running. Surprised gyms still have TVs because of potential injury-related lawsuits.