Attention deficits and lateral argumentation

This is the comment on my post of 26th of September by Brian:

Eugene, I believe that you are over thinking! GS (snatch) is a 10 minute competition that allows you one switch! You repeatly say that you love the multiple switch sets and you talk and talk about how much better they are than the OTW but you are forgetting that that is not GS. Its like saying that you love marathons but you never run the full 26 miles and that you prefer to walk every 2 or 3 miles! The bottom line is that snatching for 10 minutes with one switch is damn hard and switching mulitple times is easier. Im excited that you are challenging yourself and you working out for long sets and you enjoy it, but try not to put down one switch training because when it comes down to it, training with just one switch is leaps and bounds harder than switching every minute or 20 reps.

My workout on that day was single switch max snatch set. And yet Brian urges me not to "put down one switch training because..." Such is the strength of the belief in OTW that its practitioners cannot pay enough attention to what is written in black and white. The analogy with marathon is also off: do marathoners cover full distance every training session?

As I am becoming addicted to running I am re-reading Daniels' Running Formula. How do you think 5000 m runners train? By running 5000 m every session trying to get faster every time? It may be unbelievable but no! Several methods are used: easy long runs, repetitive runs, hill runs, lactate threshold runs, race pace runs, intervals and even strength training. Why GS should be different beats me. Every training modality has its place and should be used accordingly. Brian, go tell 5000m runners doing intervals that it is not middle distance running, see what they say.

This kind of reasoning is not unique. Couple of days ago there was a discussion of long multi-switch snatch sets for fitness. Catherine Imes made some input. When I replied to it her consequent response was totally out of wack. Instead of continuing the discussion of merit of multi-switch she said that she has responsibility to her clients, totally ignoring principal points of my post. And a nice touch at the end of Cimes' previous post: "hey, who am I to argue..." Catherine, you are not arguing, you are making sure to have the last word, no matter what.

What the hell, I should get used to it by now. The philosophy of GS in the US comes from one source, Valery Fedorenko. I don't want to take anything away from his achievements as an athlete or a coach, but having single source of information unfortunately led to single-sided approach to this sport, and the religios blindness of OTWers sometimes becomes fucking irritating. There is just no way to have a discussion.

But hey, who am I for you to listen to? I am an amateur approaching fifty year old mark and don't have great achievements in GS. Any achievements for that matter.

Therefore this is entirely up to you. I am not sure myself why I continue posting here and on IGx. I guess there are people who have an open mind, and they will get the points I am trying to get across. This blog is for those who are interested in the information that exists out there.

FYI, Brian and Catherine, continuous snatching as laid out on my blog has been recommended by Vasily Ginko, current GS world champion for that matter. Similarly, Russian EDT has been recommended for beginners by a coach and MS Alexey Mandrigelya on Rybinsk GS forum. Ryabchenko - well, Rayabchenko is Ryabchenko, a household name among Russian gireviks. Every author of articles I translated - Rudnev, Lopatin, Gomonov for starters -is either a famous athlete or a coach - in Russia mind you, the country where GS is taught professionally. If they are not reputable to you - well, who am I to insist.

In brief, GS should include several modalities of training that affect various qualities necessary for this sport. By adhering just to one you rob yourself of progress and fun in the long run. But hey, who am I to argue...

11 comments:

Peter said...

nah, keep going mate!

we particularyly like the Russian translations when you get time to do them.

its all good.

:)

Unknown said...

HI Eugene,
Absolutely keep the blog going. I am going to be 60 in January. Started doing kettlebells 18 months ago, basically to keep fit. Your posts are of great interest and motivation to me, you talk about your training highs and lows, plus supply us all with well informed translations. Good job. I could not get my head round snatching, and now after reading your approach I switch after a minute and can do 120 snatches in 10 minutes with a 20k Kbell. Not bad for an old fart eh!

girevikdavid said...

What - your M.D. and multi-language skills don't count?

You are much appreciated.

Taras - right on brother fart.

David (64)

Smet said...

Thanks for the collective hug guys.
Taras, way to go! How often are you switching hands?

CI said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CI said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CI said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CI said...

I decided to delete my comments. This is your blog and your information and I don't like coming to someone else's place and crapping in their house so to speak.

If you note, my responses on IGx are usually related to your subtle attacks. You see Eugene, when you post information here or even at IGx, I don't come over and attack it and say it has no merit. My responses to you are when you like to call out our protocols. You like to bait.

Here is your baiting comment:

Continuous snatches are great for various reasons. Obvious one - conditioning. But volume work also forces improvement in the technique, so they are useful for pure GS as well. I am curious (and glad) to see that OTW crowd gradually accepts it, whereas before anything but one switch was a waste of time.

All I did was state the reason I use mine vs. the ones you've published here...

I in fact did that after reading your multi-switch post(when you posted your response initially, you made no reference to your Continuous Snatching blog post here in terms of the details of the template..you said just said multi-switch). I had not read that until you linked it in your second to the last post on IGx that thread. Understand?

CI

Franck said...

Hi Eugene,
I read you from France and i have open mind.
Continue to explain us the russian methods.
It s very interesting.
Bye
Franck

Unknown said...

Hi Eugene,
Re 20k snatches. Started with a minute on each arm. Currently doing three minutes on each arm then back to one minute. Target is one switch for 10 mins. Then start again with a 24k. All the best.

kv said...

Hi Smet,

What's all the fuss about multiple switching?
It seems that some people think that if they are wkc or akc followers then multiple switching is forbidden for them!?
Well, right now in front of me i have a4 sized document with akc and wkc logo titled:
"general exercises of world kettlebell club".
There are 45 exercises on this list (in fact only few exercises but lots of variations) and 44 is snatch (switch anytime).
45 is snatch (switch 1 time).
The way i understand it in this case is:
switch anytime = multiple switches
I do not understand why people are attacking you when you talk about multiple switches. Maybe they are just not informed? Or narrow-minded? Or...?
p.s sorry on my bad english.