Snatch stats

I swear, I am not posting it to bait anyone or start a new fight. I was just curious about my snatch training progress. You probably noticed that my main focus is on long cycle, mainly because of lack of time, lazyness and lousy will power: do one lift and you are off, as opposed to two.

My work is structured in such a way that every week I spend two to three days away from home, in a smallish hospital in regional Australia. The hospital rents a place for visiting anaesthetist, and couple of years ago I bought a 20 kg kettlebell of DD design, but with the stripped handle. I do continuous snatches by the method described here earlier a la Vasily Ginko.

Recently I hit couple of personal records, the latest being 120 reps with one switch. Nothing too remarkable, but taking into account that I don't pay much attention to snatches anyway I was curious to see how much effort was put in this.

From the 22nd of July to 26th of September I did 11 snatching sessions. Three of them were "prikidki", or max attempts. It is about 5 sessions a month, slightly more than
1 session a week.

Of course, other activities such as long cycle and running must have some transfer on snatches: cleans in LC improve posterior chain while running improves VO2 Max and lactate threshold.

However, the effect of this experiment of one is quite clear: with almost no sets with one switch my one switch numbers improved significantly. I am not going to generalize my - very modest - results. But for now at least the little program works.

And yeah, sorry for the bold, it's fun to do it...

3 comments:

CI said...

Do you know what your starting numbers were prior to this with the 20kg or do you have a guess in terms of what they might have been (If you didn't get a baseline)? Just curious.

I will be interested to see how far you progress. Do you have a goal with this? If you hit X reps then will you consider starting with 24kg and seeing how far you get?

When Vasily gave you this template, did he give any indication in terms of how many days a week one should do this if they are Biathlon training? Just curious. My snatching is typically 5 days a week, although it depends on the athlete (Some are 4 days, and even some 3).

I have an Aussie (Emily) on a program of OALC and Biathlon lifts. OALC is the primary focus, but she does snatching 2 days per week because I think there is carryover (both ways). She's hitting MS on the OALC with a 20kg and only 7 reps (14 total away from it) on her snatches (Can easily hit the OAJ numbers). So, I do believe the other lifts can help (or running) regardless of the protocol. Valery recommends running to everyone. Until I drop some weight, it's not feasible so I row.

CI

Smet said...

Cate, it is difficult to say what my GS snatch numbers were before. About a year ago I did 45/45 (I think) with 20 kg. But after that I virtually did no snatching at all. On the other hand, when I started snatching 2 months ago getting 100 reps switching every 10 was quite hard.

Currently my goal is to keep progressing with 20 kg to about 180 reps in 10 minutes. After that I would like to try 24 kg, ultimately aiming at 100 GS reps.

This template was described by Vasily at dinner table in general terms, so no mention of frequency. I would guess that with volume relatively high one should be careful not to overdo it, including tearing the hands. Obviously, details depend on the athlete, the age probably being one of the most important factors.

CI said...

Yes, I would think the frequency would be less because of the volume.

When I did some variation of the continuous snatching and some EDT type snatch training in 2004, I could only snatch 2 times per week because the volume toll on my hands (I remember doing 6 X 30L/30R Snatches in training). Of course, I was using a DD bell until late 2006 so hand issues for my small hands were unavoidable, even when I did one switch beginning in 2005, typically only snatched 3 times per week.

CI