Musings after holidays

Yesterday morning I came back from two week holiday in Vietnam. Enjoyed it a lot, it was a mix of running around tourist places and sitting in swimming pools in resorts and hotels, drinking all kind of relaxing concoctions. Although they had fitness centers in every place we stayed, I haven't trained all this time. What the hell, a holiday is a holiday! In addition I caught some sort of virus on the way back and will have to stay away from kettlebells for a few more days.

I've been thinking about my training and came to the conclusion that the Russian EDT progression posted on Rybinsk forum by Mr. Mandrigelya is one of the best methods for the average middle age trainee. I should probably include more back-offs. For instance, you achieve 3 sets of 4 minutes, the next session should fall back on 1 minute sets. Especially if heavier bells are used. This idea was expressed by Wild Bill.

Someone asked why I think that KB snatch is not the best exercise for conditioning VO2Max style. The snatch is ok, it's just I don't like the idea of lifting light bell at crazy speeds which wrecks your hands. I would prefer to increase the weight snatch slower. It also seems to me that if you are after extreme intervals (which arte supposedly the most efficient means of improving VO2 Max) there are better, more taxing exercises to do them with, such as stationary bike or sprinting. The very fact that DD guys can do 80 sets of intervals tells you that the load is probably not that close to the maximal intensity. Having said that, snatching interval style is great for conditioning, and I am planning to include more of it in my training (just not planning to tear my hands, even if it proves my extreme manhood).

Well, from the next week I should be back to training. I will probably concentrate more on long cycle, just because it is such time efficient lift and my time for working out is so limited. I am going to follow the EDT progression for LC, starting at 6 reps per minute with 16 kg, working to 10 minutes, increasing the weight and going through the progression again. I also want to do squats (to counteract the testosterone lowering effects of GS!) and running. The main goal of me doing GS is to stay strong and fit, and these two activities support these goals quite well.

That's all for post-holiday musings. I am at work, it's night time and I am already missing the beaches, food and crazy traffic of Vietnam.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Eugene, you talk about ''the EDT progression for LC, starting at 6 reps per minute with 16 kg, working to 10 minutes, increasing the weight and going through the progression again'' can you point me to this progression? maybe you posted it on your blog I missed it

one who begins in long cycle

Tommy D said...

Welcome back!

I thought the lower testosterone levels were found in (strict) endurance athletes, not power endurance (i.e. GS)? I'm guessing that's what you're referencing here:

"I also want to do squats (to counteract the testosterone lowering effects of GS!) and running."

Thanks.

Smet said...

The link for EDT: http://girevoysportafter40.blogspot.com/2008/07/russian-edt-in-gs.html

Tommy, this is a relief! The testosterone mention was mostly fooling around anyway.

Unknown said...

Hello, I'm a 68-year old who has been using KBs for about 18 months. I noticed your comment "the Russian EDT progression posted on Rybinsk forum by Mr. Mandrigelya." I looked for more detail on this method in your April and March blogs but could not find it. Can you direct me to the detail of this EDT method. Thank you.

Smet said...

George,
The link for EDT: http://girevoysportafter40.blogspot.com/2008/07/russian-edt-in-gs.html

Rob said...

Very interesting post Eugene, very wise too and I like that!

I'm trying to decide if the DD Warrior Conditioning is everything it says on the tin.

I did indoor rowing for quite a few years and the protocols are similar for Vo2max training but much, much tougher than 80 sets of snatches(as you say tough on the hands more than the heart possibly).

Is 36:36 magic?
Or the same as 20:20 or 30:30?

Any scientific evidence to pass on?

Best regards
Rob

Smet said...

Rob, I don't know about the precise numbers. I know though that various protocols have been used, 20:10, 30:30, 4 minute rest in the Wingate and what not. The 36 sec interval seems a bit too pedantic to me, and the explanation given by KJ on the DD forum seems very corny. I personally think that any interval is ok, depending on the goals. Shorter times allow for greater intensity, while longer ones are more suitable for work closer to "endurance" label. JMO of course.