19 November 2009

Instead of starting 4 minute sets today I decided to build some volume and intensity first. The goal today is to repeat last session - 4 x 3 min sets, but at 7 reps per minute. Let's see how it goes.



2 x 19 kg LC:
2 x 3 min @7 reps/min with 3 min rest
14 reps @6 reps/min (couldn't do more)

Untimed rest, then:
7 seconds interval - 20 reps (1 min 20 sec)
Untimed rest
6 second interval - 10 reps (1 minute)

Session total - 85 reps

I filmed the 2nd set. As always, comments will be greatly appreciated



Faster tempo definitely has its beauty. Measly 1 rep per minute increase, and I am not able to finish the third set. A little pointer at what I should work on.

When I asked for a remedy for the sloppy clean Will Bill advised to try LC at fast cadence. What a great advice! Everyone should try it, fast tempo forces you to watch the technique. There is just no time for sloppy reps when you lift fast, and knowing there is no time to re-adjust the grip or get your breath together you start concentrating very hard. As I said before, every method serves its purpose. Thanks Wild Bill!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much better! Seriously!
One question: why barefooted? :)

WB

Smet said...

No sinister reasons, just lazy to put the shoes on.

KB Trainer said...

Much better.

Smet said...

Thanks.

CI said...

Here is what I see..It could be how it looks, and not how it is.

It looks to me like you try to stay upright when you drop the KBs out of the rack instead of moving with the bells to swing them back. You don't have to fold that far (Like some of us) Some reps look better than others. The other thing is I think you need to extend your knees just a tad earlier when the bells are swinging back forward..this is just subtle stuff that will matter for your grip when the bell gets heavier..Extend your knees sooner and you'll pull less with the arms.

The Jerk looks good. Shoes will help with fixation of heavier bells.

CI

Tommy D said...

"Everyone should try it, fast tempo forces you to watch the technique. There is just no time for sloppy reps when you lift fast, and knowing there is no time to re-adjust the grip or get your breath together you start concentrating very hard."

I noticed this the first time I tried a fast set of Jerks. Prior to that I had no idea just how much time and energy I was wasting settling into the rack position on the drop each rep. When you go fast you have to hit that rack immediately, or you don't get much time to rest. Makes sense it would be the same for the clean.

Good stuff, you're looking strong! I'm not sure if it's the angle, but are you completely locking your knees in the rack?

Dr S said...

Catherine, thanks for the pointers. I will pay attention next session.

Tommy, you are right, I have to watch my knees. Stretching hip flexors is something I need to do more.