The summary of the month

Last month I trained under the guidance of Denis Kanygin. I already mentioned that I was impressed by his professionalism and work ethics and will not hesitate to recommentd him as a coach. Unfortunately I came down with quite a bad flu and could not train for ten days. I only managed to complete 5 sessions with Denis (another one has been written by him for me and I am going to do it next week).

I am not serious enough student to take continuous coaching and not going to continue working with Denis. I am planning to use his services from time to time though, mostly for correcting the technique.

What have I learned while training under Kanygin? A few things.

Firt of all, volume approach, as well as escalating density training work and are used by GS coaches. Of course I knew that, but hanging on IGx where GS is represented by AKC guys - read timed sets - doubts creep in. Now I know at least one coach in flesh who uses these methods. Density progression makes perfect sense. First you build the total workout volume with short sets with fixed rest period, then gradually increase the duration of sets and decrease rest. Very simple to design and follow.

I don't want to be misunderstood: timed sets are very important for peaking and preparation for competition. They are the logical conclusion of volume training. After all, GS is about lifting for 10 minutes non-stop. But just like you don't run full marathon distance every time you go for a run, you don't have to stay the whole 10 minutes.

Second lesson - the technique. When you train alone you get stuck in your own ways, so to speak. You may lift with incorrect technique and get used to it, so after a while it feels quite comfortable. Those in my situation benefit a great deal from consulting knowledgeable coaches. Every time I do Long Cycle I am trying to pay attention to the pointers I was given.

Third. Assistance exercises areimportant. I believe some sessions should consist only of assistance drills, especially if previous session was especially high in volume and/or intensity. Static holds, swings, squats and their variations and bumps. One exercise I have never heard of before, chest bumps. This is part of the technique I never thought about: chest muscles alone should be able to push the bells above the head. My chest muscles are far from being able to do this.

So I am going to adjust my training slightly. Most importantly, I am going to add assistance drills, even a little will make a difference. I am also going to adjust progressions. Previously the goal was to achieve 60 reps in 10 minutes with the given weigh and then move to heavier bells. Now I don't feel that this is particularly beneficial for me. Instead, I am going to build volume and move to heavier bells with shorter sets. In the recent tread about competing I mentioned that getting on the platform with kettlebells below 24 kg does not seem feasible to me. To WKC crowd I am wrong. But as I mentioned, I want to follow Russian standards of GS, and minimal comp bells for men there are 24-s.

To those in my situation - in their forties, working full time jobs and lacking free time - I sincerely advise to use the services of a qualified coach, in 3D or virtual.

1 comment:

Dave Riley said...

I'm, um, in my sixties and have been doing KBs for just under a year here in Brisbane -- becoming more serious only recently when I really took to the device.I also suffer -- coming up to 25 years -- with Fibromyalgia; and as part of my response to that, getting a personal trainer once a week -- over 2 years now -- has been an important plus (after many years of exploring other exercise regimes ).

So I'm at that stage where I'm trying to structure my training more esp after H1N1 bowled me over this year.

I use my trainer -- who is also an amateur boxer and trained coach -- to focus on technique and in many ways lifting weights other than KBs and throwing a punch carries many of the attributes that can be transposed to KB swinging. But I don't have the accessible Girevoy culture or the on hand passion for the bells so I have to generate that myself.

I've found Jeff Martone's videos really useful as is the stuff offered by Pavel "Call me comrade " Tsatsouline. I've also found Denis Kanygin's 'Fitness IQ' philosophy very inspiring and useful -- and certainly I can relate to easier than the macho Cross Fit and Warrior approach offered by other kettlebell hubs. .

But I guess I'll be swinging the bells as best I can until I can hone in further on my technique.

For the moment, as I recover my strength and consolidate my routine, I found switching down to a lower weight -- 12 kgm from 16 kgm -- was very useful, as the strain with the heavier weight only obscured my technique and can be dispiriting.