GS motivator for older guys

I have a new book on GS, by Vorotincev. Not new, actually, and it’s been sitting on my PC for about a year. Vorotincev’s name is known in Russia, he is one of the first serious athletes and coaches of this sport.

The book deals with the usual issues of GS training, technique of snatch and jerk and planning of the training process. The latter is of particular interest to me, as the debate regarding OTW vs. something else has been hot for quite a while now. I will definitely do compressed translation of all topics of the book. In this post though I want to remind you of the benefits of girevoy sport for older trainees, as told by Maestro Vorotincev himself.

According to the Master, it is difficult to overestimate the benefits of GS for those over 50 years old. Due to sedentary life style many people at this age start complaining of various problems with the heart, unpleasant pains in the lower back, digestive problems and so on. Simplest kettlebell exercises, such as swings, simple juggling elements and good mornings with the bells behind the neck done for multiple repetitions are very useful as the prophylaxis of various maladies. Swinging the bell for many reps in its effect is similar to jogging and is good for the cardiovascular system, and various loaded body bends done vigorously have therapeutic effect not only on the spine, but virtually all other internal organs. After doing core exercises with kettlebells (I apologize for the “core”, this is the best translation I can manage! For 2-3 months pain in the back disappears.


These conclusions are made from personal experience. In 1987, at the age of 44 Vorotincev decided that he is not able to compete with younger athletes and decided to retire from the sport. Even though he was relatively active, by the age of 52 his blood pressure suddenly jumped to 165/105, physical activity started causing shortness of breath, and because of various aches around the body sleeping on soft mattress became a problem. Vorotincev decided that these are “normal” changes characteristic for the old age and even assumed that they may be the result of his involvement in strenuous exercises with kettlebells. In 1996 the International Federation of GS decided to conduct the first world GS championship among veterans, and Vorotincev could not resist the temptation.

When he went for the medical he had clear signs of hypertension, and is doctors forbade him to train with giryas. However, before taking medication, Vorotincev decided to try well tried treatment working for all ailments: prolonged jogging. At first he was jogging for 20 minutes and within 2 months extended the time to 90 minutes. The blood pressure went to 140/90. After 5-6 months after exercising with kettlebells and continuing jogging, blood pressure decreased to 130/80. Vorotincev won world championship. Aches and pains in the body completely disappeared. After a year of training with seriously large volume and intensity he achieved the record in 16 kg snatch for one hour: 1723 repetitions (remember – that was when this guy was in his 50-s! – Smet).

At the time of writing Vorotincev was 58 years old. He was planning to set the record in 16 kg snatch for 2 hours – 3000 reps (!) and 24 kg snatch with only one arm, aiming at 325-350 reps.

Vorotincev warns that his example is not necessarily applicable to everyone and that it is necessary to exercise caution. Unreasonable experiments with kettlebells may, instead of healing, lead to injury.

The author mentions other examples of kettlebells in helping people improve health. One such example is Dr Anatoly Dolgy, an orthopaedic surgeon who in 1998 participated in another GS world championship among veterans. He was born in 1936. At the age of 2 years he contracted poliomyelitis, one of his legs completely atrophied. He learned to walk with crutches at the age of 13 and started training with various weights. From the age of 29 he was training with kettlebells. By this time he could bench press 137.5 kg, and press behind the head 80 kg barbell. Later on he pressed two 24 kg kettlebells for 47 times, that’s standing on one leg (!), and snatched 24 kg for 90 reps with the left and 100 with the right arm. At the age of 44 he completed Master of Sport of the Ukraine in GS. He strongly believes that GS or some of its exercises are the best way to improve health.

Another impressive example – Ryurik Karnaukhov, born in 1939. He is disabled: lost four fingers on one hand and has severe arthritis of both hip joints. He struggles to walk without crutches. Using special hand prosthesis that he has build himself this gentleman has lifted two 24 kg bells 75 times (own weight 70 kg), though without fixation. Completed KMS. Bench pressed 100 kg barbell. Participates in every GS competition. According to Vorotincev, these guys never talk about their age; he believes that their souls are much younger than the age recorded in their passports.

There are probably too many exclamation marks in this post, and I am probably going sentimental, I don’t know. But these examples impress me. They are also the testimony to the benefits of training with the good old traditional Russian ball with a handle. Sort of makes me proud by default. Even though I have nothing to do with the stories.

Next step now is to decide what way of working out is best. Not that I hope there is ever going to be the consensus, but at least arguing about it is a lot of fun.

5 comments:

Cardiac Conan said...

Hey Eugene,
Another great post. Personally I call the bell my "fountain of youth".
I knew the bells were good but since I have started training for the Arnold Sports Festival, I've noticed my body getting tighter and tighter. My cardiologist told me that what I'm doing is better than any of the medications they are presrcibing.
Yesterday, I stated off the day with 300 sw 16kg GS and 100 sn each side and then taught a kettlebell class in the evening.
jerry gray

girevikdavid said...

I would like to take the liberty of adding my story to this inspirational post. In 2004-2005, I spent the year lying in my recliner watching TV, reading, and medically addicted to methadone and "medical marijuana" for severe chronic back pain. To add insult to injury, in many ways the treatment was worse than the disease, e.g., gross pedal edema, episodic inability to urinate, and the despair of conscious realization that I was living a dulled existence.

I had lost hope to return to my previously vigorous lifestyle (lifting heavy weights and primitive implements, teaching Uechi-Ryu Okinawan karate, instructing self-defense at the local gun club, and delving deeply into the practice, lore, and culture of American Bowie knife fighting art.

To make a long story short, I underwent an L5-S1 laminectomy (known in the trade as a "360", given that a general surgeon goes in through the abdomen revealing the spine wherein the neurosurgeon completes phase one and then flips the patient over to make a second incision to complete the procedure). I was given a 75% chance of "some relief".

While convalescing from surgery I discovered DD and read about the rehabilitation potential of KBs. I ordered a set and haven't looked back since.

The giri and GS are now part of my life.

All of you silverbacks are well aware of the feeling that accompanies completion of a training session that would have been impossible for you a quarter of a century previously.

Awesome!

girevikdavid said...

I apologize for the oversight - Jerry, look forward to seeing you at Arnold. We can compare heart attacks and maybe have some prunes together after the competition :)

David

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting that!

Anonymous said...

Yep Eugene after discovering K.B's 2 years ago at 64, I feel that using common sense and perseverance I can continue improving for a long time even though I have tons of athritis from having fractured c-5 and c-6 years ago with diminished strength, these things have brought back my strength in ways regular weight work wasn't. Before my workout I'm 66, after 200 snatches and maybe 150 cleans plus dips and hanging leg raises I'm 40 years old again. If GOD says "yes" I will compete before I'm 70. Those Russian "boys' sure are the "Bellweather Bulls". You have a great blog. Regards, Richard San Antonio, Tx., USA