Philosophy of GS training (from the amateur - again!)

The debate regarding the best way to train for Girevoy Sport continues on IGx, albeit in a less emotional way. Jokes and mockings aside, I've been facing this dilemma for a while now. On one hand, GS is about lifting for 10 minutes, on the other, doing it every training session is too strenuous, both physically and emotionally. For couple of months I trained with true OTW follower Dmitri Sataev and had to do 5 minutes of jerks every session. That burned me out, and I was not looking forward to training. One can start the rant about determination and willpower, but I am not buying it: most of us are amateur athletes and don't have to push ourselves every time we train. The argument in a way similar to that regarding strategies for weight loss: everyone knows that eating less will get you lose unwanted fat. However, it was shown numerous times in most rigorous research that it does not work for the long term: there are other factors involved, such as hunger and the drive to move around, both of which are regulated by the nervous system and are extremely difficult to fight. Many professional bodybuilders, whose income depends on how they look, often stay fat out of season, yet we expect mere mortals to have the discipline to exercise and eat for the rest of their lives. Anyway, this post is not about the treatment of obesity, and I won't start the detailed discussion now.

The analogy is right on when it comes to training though, in any sport. Training requires doing something on regular basis in order to develop good technique and physical qualities necessary for the sport, GS in our case. If you have to overcome yourself every time you train you are not likely to continue it for long term. That is why - for me at least, Pavel's PTP was such a revelation: you don't have to lift to failure. This variable alone changed my training from sporadic periods of hard working at the gym, just to get tired (and sometimes sick) and find an excuse to stop doing it, to regular and enjoyable, actually looking forward to lifting. No, I still haven't achieved anything respectable from powerlifters' point of view, but I do it regularly and enjoy it, without getting injured, which at my age is the most importan achievement there is.

Training for GS is no different. The sport is hard and requires discipline and serious effort, but not every time you train (ok, I train). And this dilemma has been haunting me ever since I started jerking and snatching for reps, which is several months now. Only several months that is, and I do not claim expertise to GS whatsoever, all I am doing is trying to find the way for a 46 year old professional to progress in GS while not hating it. Anyway, at this stage I have some ideas in regards to GS training and would like to share them with whoever wants to listen - and argue. Here it is.

I see two polar approaches to GS training which can compared to training for running. For achieving results in, say, 5000 m distance you can train in two ways. One way is to run slowly for long distance and build the volume and endurance. When you can run 15 km slowly it will be relatively easy to run 5 km faster. This is OTW in GS. This, incidentally, is also the basis for the actual training for the mentioned. Apparently, that is how the English - then champions - trained for the marathon in the 1950s, running actual marathon distance every week.

Another way is to run shorter distances, say 0.5 - 2 km, at high(er) pace several times during the session. This way you build intensity, and when you can run couple of kilometers quite fast, you can run 5 km at slower pace. This approach is the opposite of OTW. And though I am not sure of the exact facts, something like this has changed training for marathon in the 1950 - 60s: Finns introduced interval training for their marathoners and sharply reduced traning volume for their athletes, who eventually went on to win one of the Olympics. As I said, I am not sure of the exact facts, but something like this has happened.

The examples above, of course, are just illustration of the principles, and though coaches prefer this or that approach, the methods are mixed to a large degree. Runners of all distances use both volume and intensity training, as well as strength and special exercises and play training (soccer and other games).

The cardinal difference in OTW approach in GS and running, of course, is intensity. Running for an hour can be enjoyable, while doing double jerks is hard. Because of the weight factor the intensity in GS is closely related to the duration of the set - translated into the weight lifted per unit of time. That is why the analogy does not work in direct fashion. I am not sure how exactly, but it seems to me that with longer and longer distances in running the intensity translates into the distance itself: never mind how slowly, running for 3 hours becomes intense.

Ok, where it is all going. I am not so sure myself and opinions on the subject are very welcome. I personally believe in building volume by doing multiple shorter sets, then increasing intensity. As if there was not enough confusion - what's intensity? The weight lifted, the rate of lifting and the duration of the set, and the combinations of these variables are virtually endless. The first example of this approach is Russian EDT as per coach Mandrigelya from Rybinsk forum.

Another example - many Russian guys snatch 40 kg bell during training; then 32 kg seems light and can be lifted for longer. I also believe that going from heavier to lighter makes more sense: if you press 100 kg once, you will do more reps with 50 kg. But if you train to press 50 kg for 50 reps, will you be able to press 100 kg once? I am sure mutants like Valery Fedorenko, but I am wondering about mere mortals.

Of course, as GS is all about lifting for longer, it is necessary to lift for longer, at least occasionally. Just like running the full marathon distance is important for a marathoner. I just don't think it should be done that often. There is an opinion among some powerlifters that lifting for the max should not be done during training at all and should be left for competitions. GS carries much less risk of trauma, so going for the max is not as dramatic. Still, doing it too often may lead to burnout. Or maybe I am just a wuss.

Oh yeah, something else! When talking about timed sets and long sets I totally forgot to mention the most important factor: perceived difficulty. Coming back to training with Sataev, at that point in time 5 minute set of jerks was about my limit. Now, after building volume with shorter sets and EDT, it is not so strenuous at around 8 reps per minute. While 10 minutes is still hard, though possible. That's why the intensity of training will ultimately be determined by PRE, Perceived Rate of Exertion, the parameter presently very much in vogue in the fitness industry (even though only a fraction of personal trainers use it). Set it as you wish, on the scale from 1 to 10 or "easy, medium, hard", whatever. I think one should not go to high levels of exertion too often, maybe every 5th session or less. Horonenko's method implies control sets once a month when training three times a week, that's every 12th session, even though on some days the intensity and volume are quite high.

7 comments:

MKSchinabeck said...

Eugene,
Keep up the strong work....your blog is great. I think another factor for the "older" crowd getting into GS in the frequency of working out. I believe that there are very few people in their late thirties and above who can train GS on a daily basis. Even if you are doing short sets. The older body simply takes longer to recover. Attempting to push daily GS workouts is a recipe for burnout as many have already figured out. I myself have found 2 days on 1 day off works very well for me (38yr old). I Jerk one day with snatch assistance work followed by snatches on the next day with jerk assistance. This model has worked quite well for me.

hunashaman said...

Great post Eugene. I'm 38 and have also started with kettlebells just over a year ago. I also find that a balanced approach where you only go really hard occasionally works best. Pavel's ETK (although not GS oriented) is a good example as is the 4x7 protocol of Scott Sonnon and some of Steve Cottor's ideas on training. I think the most important thing (especially as we get older) is healthy training rather than overly intense training. There really is no point in starting the marathon called life at a sprint pace and run out of steam after a few hundred meters.

Anonymous said...

Variety and recovery are important for those of us "more seasoned" practitioners of GS training. Variety of movement, frequency and intensity allows for both physical and mental recovery. If we go into a workout dreading the monotony or the pain, we will naturally reduce frequency. If I feel tired or the body "rebels" against a movement during a workout, I'll move on to another, perhaps hitting a new PR rather than just stopping because the body or mind just doesn't want to Jerk or snatch on that particular day. Keep up the great work with the blog!

Girevik_X said...

Eugene,

Very good take on GS training. For me (at 44) I would like to make rank in the WKC/AKC system, and I'm fine starting at the bottom (level VII) and trying to work my way up. On the other hand, I'm not willing to sacrifice my family time to train everyday, just to be able to call myself a level VII. My focus is really on overall health and keeping my body moving with an exercise program that has set, definable goals.

I train three days a week with jerks on Monday, snatches on Wednesday, and long cycle on Friday. For my long cycle, I use a lighter weight than for my jerks on Monday.

So far, I have been meeting my rep and time goals with the 20kg, but I've also got my 16 kgs next to me if I start to feel like my energy or attitude is waning during my workout.

I figure I can at least complete the workout with a lighter weight, allowing me to avoid the guilt of quitting a particular workout but also still receiving the benefits of that particular exercise.

Keep up the good work.

Jim

Peter said...

Hey Eugene,
I'm from Canberra and have been using kettlebells as early as 2003 in many different ways. In the past I haven't concentrated very much on GS type training however, that changed when Steve Cotter drove into town recently and conducted the GS workshops.

I can identify whole heartedly with your post since at 42 yrs my mind and body demand variety in training.

So I began GS training using the various training protocols that are out there and I quickly discovered (as MK in the comments mentions)that I was burning out.

Over the years I've compiled dozens of workout templates that have been posted on the 'net and some that I've created myself.

What has been a revelation for me is that picking a workout that is sufficiently different from the previous one or changing it slightly has been the key to my NOT over training, enjoying the training all the while making progress in GPP and when concentrating on GS, making progress there as well.

Therefore I identified very strongly with your most recent post but even more so with your previous one on Circle training - it simply breaths fresh air into your system.

Peter

Smet said...

Very interesting and useful comments. Thanks everyone.

Alexander said...

Thanks for a great blog! I apprecite all your posts and some have had direct influence on my training. I like your analysis of the two poles in GS. Regarding heavier weights' carry over to lighter ones I certainly agree. After experiencing a long plateau with 16s and 20s, I finally tried doing a few erratic reps with 26s and 28s. Very, quickly I increased my lighter reps; not fantastic but very noticeable. Of course, there are also some risks to be recognized with heavier weights. Certainly at our age (41), but so there is with long to-the-death sets with lighter weights as well. At least in my experience.
Very interesting comments on this page as well.
Have a good weekend!