Downside of vanity.

I work as an anaesthetist. Last week they brought the patient to the operating theatre on a broken bed: the weels were not turning properly. Partly because I wanted the job done, partly because of vanity I lifted the end of the bed and moved it to the desired opsition. Not much, about a meter, and the weight I lifted was - as you can imagine - not of olympic proportions. Yet it was heavy enough to draw the comments "mr. muscle" from my nurses. The downside - the next day my lower back was sore. That's how it usually reacts to stupid actions, with considerable delay.

I took it easy for couple of days and paid careful attention to the form of snatches during the weekend. Same yesterday while doing LC with two 20 kgs. In spite of being careful though my lower back is not doing well today. I also atribute it to the poor cleaning technique yesterday.

Morale? First, do not show off, its benefits - several admiring remarks - are quickly overwhelmed by the downside, discomfort and inability to train. Second - take care of your back. Stretching, mobility and may be gentle "incorrect" lifting a la Mel Siff should take larger place in my training. I wish I learned from mistakes...

3 comments:

Peter said...

not sure if you deadlift at all but i think it should be a staple in ones exercise regimen as well as pressing over head and pullups.

i mainly train GS style but I ALWAYS include the deadlift and its variations like:

#1 leg deads as well as 1 leg deads on a bessa brick. this increases the range of motion. its a good challenge to stay in balance on the brick and the extra effort required from the one leg to lift because of that increase in range;

#normal deads as well as normal deads on TWO bessa bricks. the increase in height really challenges the legs and the full posterior chain of the muscles of the back even with a lighter weight;

there must have been a hot nurse in the room to warrant Mr Muscle showing of heeheheheheh.

i do it all the time and occassionaly say to myself 'now that was a dumb arsed thing to do'...

good luck with the back.
peter

Anonymous said...

I've had great luck with foam rollers on my back & IT band. I'm no longer making my chiropractor's truck payment. Surely worth the investment & plenty of instruction on youtube.

Your incident is where I believe Pavel was 100% correct with the locked abs/butt & power breathing.

Good luck with the back.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the foam roller. Plus tennis ball and golf ball. And daily joint mobility work.