The technique, the belt and the elbows

A conversation from Rybinsk GS forum. It is part of the tread "Jerk". I slightly edited it (inevitable when translating).

Ванёк: Hi everyone. I would like to ask the experienced - is it alowed to rest the elbows on the belt in rack position? Samarets (another poster) was recently telling that he made special pockets on his belt for better elbow rest. What's the attitude to these kind of modernizations at the competitions? As far as I know the rules only state the width of the belt (not wider than 10 cm) and that’s it, nothing else.

ДЮСШ (GS coach - smet): Rules also state the thickness of the belt, 10 mm. At national Russian competitions all “inventions” in regards to the belt are stopped in their tracks. Resting the elbows on the belt hasn’t been banned yet, it looks.

GirEV (not sure,but I think he is MSMC; at least MS - smet): Exerpt from the Rules of GS Competition.

Athletes uniform.
- it is allowed to use standard weightlifting belt not wider than 12 cm, bandages not longer than 1.5 m…

ДЮСШ: Read further, the comments to the paragraphs.

…weightlifting belt must be standard. Rear part of the belt not wider than 12 cm, front part not wider than 6 cm, thickness of the frontpart no more than 0.8 cm…

Ванёк: Thanks. Everything is clear

GirEV: ДЮСШ, have you re-phrased my post? :)

ДЮСШ: Not at all. Read very carefully. It is not my “opus”. The exerpt is taken from the Rules published on the VFGS (Russian GS Federation). The difference is that the thickness of the belt is stated, 0.8 cm. The poster was asking about pockets on the belt to make the jerk easier. It will obviously alter its thickness, or width and obviously the whole look.

Антоний: As far as uniform is concerned, everything is clear. As far as elbows touching the belt – not really.

GirEV: Elbows are allowed to touch the belt!

Ванёк: In regards to the thickness and the pockets everything is clear. What’s not clear – yestesrday I saw on the Net – not gonna lie (not sure), I think it was Denisov at some competition. Well, this girevik – when I looked carefully – his belt was bent outwards in places where the elbows were leaning, sort of semicircles.Therefore the thickness of the belt is standard, but the shape is deformed.

The reason I am asking is because when I was training with mostly 24s – had no problems and I was able to rest in the rack position. For the last 4 months I train with 32s and 29s and cannot properly relax my arms. Because of that already after 3 minutes my triceps is beaten up, and after 5 minutes feels as it ismade of wood. I will try to post the file here.

ДЮСШ: If you pay attention you may notice that the great are forgiven for many sins! Overall though, do not concentrate on the belt too much. It impedes progress. Train for a week without the belt. Especially the rack. Roll the bells onto the chest, and bend backwards in the lower back. If your legs are strong, place the feet wider, point the toesoutwards. In other words, find the position in which the arms rest the most.

Ванёк: Thanks, I am gonna try.

SPIRIDON: I fully agree, and it has been written numerous times: the belt is not the means of elbow support, but the device for the protection of the spine. Tighten it up, and you can push one hundred percent, without fears to pull the lower back.

As far as relaxing in the rack – I find static exercises very helpful.

End of tread.

No comments: